Thursday, February 12, 2009

all about food

so i have strep throat, and i'm up at my parents house in santa rosa. hanging out with my dogs, reading my old books that haven't made it down to my house [omnivore's dilemma!], eating my mom's homemade cookies. it's awesome... except for the strep throat part.

here are some really cool things i've stumbled upon:

Cricket Bread Blog - a guy who lives in North Carolina, and is involved in lots of neat projects; growing his own food, recycling bikes, community organizing. Very inspiring!



the gross paradox of the american diet 
- as seen at bayfair in san leandro

the ethicurian is a collective blog that highlights food policy, food safety, eating, and news relating to, well, food! there are lots of cool links; enough to keep me interested and entertained for hours, which is important when i'm stuck in my childhood bedroom for days :)


stickers available from the greenhorns etsy shop

The Greenhorns are a group that is creating "a documentary film about young farmers generating an agricultural revival". Their blog is called An Irresistible Fleet of Bicycles and their actual website is here. I'm reading their guide for beginning farmers, which is available as a PDF on their website - I'm totally digging the hand drawn illustrations.

Lastly, this awesome video about school lunches. I'm a teacher - you can check out my other blog at handmadeducation.blogspot.com - and I worked in the lunch room at my school for a few months. I was TOTALLY disgusted by how much food is wasted. For example, new milk is brought in everyday. At least 20+ milk cartons are thrown out because they were brought in the day before... the milk doesn't even expire for days, but we can't use milk that's a day old... what?!? Also, if the food isn't eaten, it has to be thrown away. Thank god we compost at our school, but still, all the plastic containers that the food comes in have to be thrown away. It was very frustrating seeing my kids eat poor quality meals, only to throw away a majority of them. The Edible Schoolyard, based in Berkeley, is such an inspiring project. I wish more public schools could afford programs like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment